Options To Treat Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile Dysfunction is a genuine concern for older people or those who have undergone surgery for prostate problems. Erectile Dysfunction is a condition where men cannot get an erection or maintain it for a sexual performance. There are symptoms associated with this condition and the one that is generally noted is one of reduction in sexual desire. Unfortunately, this tends to affect your life in more than one ways. If this problem exists for more than a few weeks and sometimes lasts longer than a few months, consultation with a doctor will confirm that this condition is Erectile Dysfunction or Impotence as it is otherwise called.
How do you treat this condition?
Medications: While many people can treat the condition of erectile dysfunction by treating what may be causing it
– the underlying problems such as blood pressure. However, many others need medication to treat it. Medicines such as avanfil or sildenafil are usually prescribed by doctors and using this will allow you to lead a normal sex life. Unfortunately, all these medicines are reported as causing side effects in people using these. The problems that are commonly caused are headaches, heartburns or upset stomach, back pain, nasal congestion, blurry vision and even hearing loss in some cases. It is important to weigh the pros and cons before choosing to take medication for this.
Penile Injections: Injection therapy is also another preferred way to deal with the problems associated with erectile dysfunction. A few facts about the therapy
- There have been clinical trials conducted for these and more than 80% of the people achieved an erection.
- It is an FDA approved medication and hence is prescribed by doctors.
- The actual dosage is determined on a case-to-case basis by the doctor depending upon the patient’s need.
- The medication is injected into the side of the penis and induces an erection within 5 -15 minutes
- While the initial doses are given by the doctor, the patient learns to inject himself under the guidance of a doctor.
- Patients have confirmed that they get used to injecting themselves and it is not bothersome at all.
- The injection must be taken just before sexual intercourse and the erection typically lasts for 30 minutes, an hour or even until you achieve orgasm.
- The number of injections should not exceed 12 a month and if possible should be spaced out evenly.
Some side effects of burnings sensation, feeling light-headed apart from others have been reported. Further, patients sometimes have erections that last longer than 4 hours in which case it needs be to be immediately looked at.
Penis Pumps: The vacuum pump method is another common method used widely to treat the dysfunction. What it typically does is it forces the blood into the penis with a pumping action which is done through a plastic cylinder.
This is a method that is used by a lot of people who find using medication and other invasion techniques problematic. Not only is the option of medicines riddled with side effects but they are costly as well.
The things that work in the favor of pumps is the fact that it is a one-time cost when you purchase it and then it is all about figuring out how to use it the right way. Some tips for usage:
- Place the plastic tube over a lubricated penis
- Use the hand pump or the battery-operated pump to vacuum the air out and pump the blood into the penis.
- Once you have achieved an erection place a constriction band around the base of the penis to maintain the erection.
- It is important to monitor the pressure as per the instructions mentioned in the manual of the product. You will be smart to also follow your psychological sensations of right and wrong.
- Release pressure every 15 minutes or so to allow for fresh oxygen.
These devices amongst all the others have known to be extremely helpful in dealing with the problems relating to the condition. However, you should be aware of the way it is to be used. Ensure that you have taken the doctor’s approval before you purchase a product. Not only will it help but the doctor may also be able to provide guidance on the product that may suit you.